[Notepad-plus-plus] still swear words in src files.
William M
2014-05-16 06:21:02 UTC
not sure why this isn't removed.
It seems unprofessional, for a freeware product trying to be a serious tool.
William M
2014-05-16 06:22:23 UTC
not sure why they aren't removed.
It seems unprofessional, for a freeware product trying to be a serious tool.
William M
2014-05-16 06:29:07 UTC
Lets just rename Notepad++, or add a slogan to advertise it:
Notepad++, The Swear Word Text Editor.

I can already see it as professional made graphic art on the home page.

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: still swear words in src files in version 6.6.2
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:52:23 +0930

William M
2014-05-16 06:40:43 UTC
here is another Quote for
File: Notepad_plus.cpp
Location: Quotes array [line number 5243]

{"Contrib", "Programmers create new code from the elements, yet some of them deny Creation and a Creator..."}

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:59:07 +0930

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:52:23 +0930

William M
2014-07-28 02:23:47 UTC
i do lol

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:12:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [Notepad-plus-plus] still swear words in src files.
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@hotmail.com
CC: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net

who actually cares lol

http://p.sf.net/sfu/SauceLabs
GjC
2014-07-28 04:57:57 UTC
Saurav
2014-07-28 05:33:50 UTC
No, no. There's nothing ungrateful about WIlliam's opinion. I am a grateful
user of Notepad++ and having come to know ​of swear words​ in src *makes me
less inclined to use the product now.*

However, I don't know what swear words have been used, but really swear
words in comments is just too just much.

​And Graham can try to be correct his grammar before he tries to ​comment
on others' intentions.

​I hope this entire episode is taken as an improvement in notepad++ and
that is exactly how the developers take it as well.

​Sincerely,
Saurav

GjC
2014-07-28 05:55:59 UTC
thanks for the response, i dont think the negative ungrateful responses
were because of the swear words tbh.. in fact i never noticed swear words!
i belong to an adult social media group where such is very tame, while not
excusing this i do feel the best way to combat unsatisfactory behaviour is
to sigh and ignore, we are all different

but i do appreciate your input, i geuss i should also have accepted and
ignored
kind regards
graham

ph .. 09 232 9977
William M
2014-07-31 02:45:08 UTC
thanks Saurav, I like your elaboration as it captures what I meant. I didn't mean it in a trolling way. It is just that I used to use it with a bit of pride, but those swear words / list of jokes in the src code make me think of npp as a 'good to use' but not necessarily serious / responsible in terms of the developer efforts overall. as I originally said, I'm not saying I dont swear, but I dont put them on as a badge of honor (honour) all day every day either.

just so you know, at least one of those jokes mentioned wife bashing. which I don't know, it seems like that joke has a limited range of appropriate use ( i know it is a joke, but still isn't really a universal joke you'd say as an ice breaker ).

William.

I went to the trouble of bringing it up out of previous appreciation and expreiences using npp, so that I could continue to think of npp as a respectable product in terms of professionalism. It takes time to sign up to the developer news.
From: ***@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:03:50 +0530
To: ***@gmail.com
CC: ***@hotmail.com; notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net; ***@gmail.com

David McDivitt
2014-07-28 13:29:27 UTC
I use notepad++ every day for many files. I'd be lost without it. Having been programming 35+ years I've seen many things. Use the program and be happy someone is so committed to a good piece of software. Swear words and other weird stuff are common in source code and do not represent lack of professionalism. What would be unprofessional is for the user interface to be anything other than neat and clean.

Pavan Kulkarni
2014-07-29 03:42:55 UTC
unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
--001a11345ee446192f04ff39c4e0

THANKS
i am appreciative of your product and information
Thanks
Graham
i think its ungreatful people who wish to use a free product and remain on
the newsletters that are ridiculous ..

On 28 July 2014 14:23, William M <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i do lol
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:12:04 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Notepad-plus-plus] still swear words in src files.
> From: ***@gmail.com
> To: ***@hotmail.com
> CC: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> who actually cares lol
>

> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM, William M <***@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> not sure why this isn't removed.
> It seems unprofessional, for a freeware product trying to be a serious
> tool.

ph .. 09 232 9977

--001a11345ee446192f04ff39c4e0

&quot;Accelerate Dev Cycles with Automated Cross-Browser Testing - For FREE<br>
Instantly run your Selenium tests across 300+ browser/OS combos.<br>
Get unparalleled scalability from the best Selenium testing platform available<br>
Simple to use. Nothing to install. Get started now for free.&quot;<br>
Notepad-plus-plus mailing list<br>
Infragistics Professional<br>
Build stunning WinForms apps today!<br>
Reboot your WinForms applications with our WinForms controls.<br>
Build a bridge from your legacy apps to the future.<br>

unknown
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
--089e011845eab8c61304ff4cd56c

True that. What matters is the quality from end user perspective & NP++ is
doing a fine job at that. I thank them everyday for that.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM, David McDivitt <***@subjectivist.org>
wrote:

> I use notepad++ every day for many files. I'd be lost without it. Having
> been programming 35+ years I've seen many things. Use the program and be
> happy someone is so committed to a good piece of software. Swear words and
> other weird stuff are common in source code and do not represent lack of
> professionalism. What would be unprofessional is for the user interface to
> be anything other than neat and clean.
>
> On July 27, 2014 9:23:47 PM CDT, William M <***@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> i do lol
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:12:04 -0500
>> Subject: Re: [Notepad-plus-plus] still swear words in src files.
>> From: ***@gmail.com
>> To: ***@hotmail.com
>> CC: notepad-plus-***@lists.sourceforge.net
>>
>> who actually cares lol
>>

>> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM, William M <***@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> not sure why this isn't removed.
>> It seems unprofessional, for a freeware product trying to be a serious
>> tool.

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Infragistics Professional
>> Build stunning WinForms apps today!
>> Reboot your WinForms applications with our WinForms controls.
>> Build a bridge from your legacy apps to the future.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id3845071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> --

_
Pavan

Mike Hatz
2014-07-31 02:53:31 UTC
Seriously?

Get over the butt-hurt already.

Better still, this doctor will write you a prescription -
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/425519864762326046/

Notepad++ rules. Period.
GjC
2014-07-31 04:19:10 UTC
yes
its not a major in life
get on with life, everythings cool, i am sure we users of the creators
wonderful program are forever thankful, THANKS owner/creator, to me its
much better than any/many similar notepads
cheers and again thanks
graham

ph .. 09 232 9977
Young, Gary
2014-07-31 18:02:16 UTC
Inappropriate language, in messages, in N++, has gotten to users before and that was unprofessional. As for the source code, a little bit of bad language shouldn't hurt anything. For myself, I always try to use less swear words - I don't use a lot, but still too much; it resurfaces so a lifelong battle. Swearing a lot makes one sound like "you know", an idiot (most of us should be battling "you know"). There are a lot of reasons not to swear. Kids. Adults. The people you attract. And swearing really bothers a lot of people - people that I generally respect. I am creative when I code and I like to keep it interesting, and funny, but writing good clear code always has to rule no matter what. When I am participating on something and there are too many perverse people, I drop out. I don't object to people not wanting to use a product that has weird stuff going on behind the scenes, free or not. If I was responsible for the weird stuff, I'd kick em on their way out too. So far, N++ has been a great, the best, catch-all editor for me, and I haven't had any need to worry too much about the internals, whether they be modestly elegant or entropeed (new gutter form of entropy).

Gary Young